What are the benefits of online learning? First of all, we’ve got to start by saying that not all “online learning” is created equal. If you’re able to find a programme that’s just the right fit for your family, online learning can be extraordinarily beneficial for young children. The right online learning platform– a programme that truly meets your child’s needs– can transform your child’s education experience into something that is personalised, interactive, effective, engaging, and joyful. Here’s how:
- Student-centred learning: If the online learning programme offers small class sizes, students receive more focused attention from their teachers, which means that the overall experience is tailored to their needs, learning style, and interests. Teachers online are better able to find a balance between standardisation (academic rigor) and personalisation (making sure that the content is the appropriate level for each individual student). Students are able to learn at a pace that suits their needs.
- Relevant and timely feedback: With an endless array of digital tools at their fingertips, teachers online can provide helpful and actionable feedback to their students on a regular basis. This helps students take ownership of their learning and empowers them to reach their full potential.
- Parents are more involved in their child’s learning journey: While the actual teaching and planning is done by qualified teachers, parents are more aware of what their children are learning and what their progress is like. For many families, online learning brings with it a sense of closeness and togetherness that is harder to make happen when children are learning outside the home.
- Opportunities for socialisation: In certain online learning programmes, students can interact with other kids from around the world– collaborating on projects, playing games, discussing topics, and practicing social-emotional skills such as empathy. Students interact with the same peers each day, forming a familiar and comfortable classroom environment, while also learning about different cultures and ways of living. It’s important to choose a programme that offers small class sizes and a focus on social-emotional learning (SEL) in order to really get that positive socialisation aspect.
- Engaging and dynamic lessons: Learning online opens up a whole new world of possibilities for interactive education. Travel from a desert to a rainforest? Sure! Save the planet by practicing multiplication facts? Let’s do it! No gravity day? Get ready! When harnessed properly, third-party platforms can offer effective and exciting ways for students to gain knowledge, practice using skills, and discover new ways to use their knowledge and skills to solve problems. Online learning is enriched by ever-developing technology, making learning more interactive, compelling, and fun.
- Ease of access from anywhere in the world: No matter where you live, you can have access to a high-quality education for your child. They can learn alongside the same classmates, with the same teacher, learning from the same curriculum from anywhere in the world.
If you find a high-quality online learning programme for your child that really fits their needs, it can make all the difference in the world– your kiddo can get the attention they need and develop to their full academic and social potential while learning from the comfort of your home. Choosing the right online school is no easy task, but we’ve got some ideas to help you sift through the options– click here for seven things to consider when deciding on an online school for your kiddo.